St George-the-Martyr stands at a road
junction in Borough High Street. For 2,000 years important Roman, medieval
and modern roads have all converged here.
The church, by John Price in 1735 is of classical design in
brick with Portland stone pediments, string courses and dressings. It is
listed Grade 2* and is considered to be of national historic importance.
Inside, the Georgian interior has retained its gallery, the west gallery
housing an organ built by Abraham Jordon in 1702. Although the box pews have
been cut down from the originals their doors have survived. The
pulpit, standing on four fluted Ionic columns, is one part of a former
three-decker. St George's has literary and historical connections, it
features in Charles Dickens's 'Little Dorrit'. The heroine was born in
Marshalsea Prison, which used to stand a few doors away, and married at St
George's. Today Little Dorrit can be seen in the east window at the bottom
The churchyard, now a garden, was the site of the Marshalsea Prison where
Charles Dickens' father was imprisoned for debt in 1824.
Ball after initial treatment and gilding
and ready for faulting
Pennant after full restoration
George the Martyr, Southwark
George the Martyr, Borough High Street, Southwark. West
front before restoration